Saturday, March 2, 2013

Waldesian Heritage Winery



Like most women, I like my wine.  I also like to travel to new places, take photographs, and meet new people.  I’ve combined all my passions and talents in a series of NC Wine-Down Weekend columns.  From my encounters with wineries in the past I’ve noticed each has their own unique charm and story.  Each week I’ll be visiting a different winery here in NC and give you a little insight on what each of these places have to offer.  The first spot on my journey was Waldensian Heritage Winery in Valdese, NC.


There we were, three women on a mission to try some new wine.  The event started off on the wrong foot because Waldesian Heritage Winery is not an easy place to find.  Even the winery’s directions online guide you to a town kiosk to locate for instructions instead of taking you straight to the building.  Go left on Main Street until you reach the Town of Valdese parking lot adjacent to Wachovia Bank. A kiosk with local information and a town map is in the north-western corner of the parking lot.”  You can see why we were a little concerned.



When we thought we were lost that’s when we found it.  I flopped in my seat as we took a sharp turn down a suspicious looking road and I was shocked that we had arrived.  The outside of the winery literally looks like a countryside barn but without the red paint.  My mind went to a scene from “Deliverance” with the banjos playing.  Looking around my new surroundings I was able to see a view of a miniature vineyard which made me feel more at peace.  There was also a covered “Boccia” court (lawn bowling) with outdoor seating.  It was interesting to find such a rural area within minutes of the downtown area of Valdese, NC.

Thinking “we made it this far” we decided to take our intrepid troop indoors.  Unanticipated the inside had a calm and leisurely ambiance.  There are no windows so it felt like we stepped into the night.  The décor is the memoirs of past times.  The history of the Waldesian wine-making journey can be seen through the photos they’ve collected throughout the years.  There are a handful of barrel base tables with chairs scattered through the small sitting area, nothing fancy but practical.


  
The tasting counter is located exactly when you walk in.  Right away we were warmly greeted by a lady who faintly reminded me of my grandmother.  So I felt a little awkward getting our wine samples from her, since my granny really isn’t a boozer.  Needless to say my discomfort departed because we sampled them all (hey, we were on a mission) from the Villar Rouge Sweet (their sweetest wine) to the Heritage Burgundy Valdese (their driest wine). 

I found that the Burgundy Valdese, not to be confused with the Heritage Burgundy Valdese (two different wines), fit my taste buds the best (but I rarely find a wine I don’t enjoy).  I was also pleased to find out that it was also their biggest seller!  The Hertiage Burgundy Valdese had a slight bite at the end but because of the Burgundy Valdese’s residual sugar it left me with a delighted palate.  As with most burgundy wines it’s served at room temperature.



After a small chat with our familiar looking bartender we found out that this winery was constructed by Italian immigrant descendants in 1930.  Prohibition didn’t end until 1933 but they were only making small batches for “personal consumption”, is what we were told.  The original Waldensian settlers arrived in the small town of Valdese in 1893 after famine struck their homes in the Alps.



Today they use the same wine making skills they learned in their country over a hundred years ago.  So here in the small town of Valdese you’ll get authentic Italian wine!  The winery production, distribution, marketing, and tours are performed by volunteers only (absolutely no paid workers).  So maybe it was my nana who was serving us our tasty beverages.  Their series of wines are made from concord grapes that they bring in (that petite vineyard outside doesn’t supply enough for their production).  This is what gives each of their wines an attractive fruity aroma and taste. 



We each purchased a glass of the wine we enjoyed the most and found a seat to sit and survey our pastoral surroundings.  A group came through the door within minutes.  It appeared as though they just left work and were coming here to drink and hangout.  There were also a few “good ole boys” that came in to just buy a bottle of wine.  You know you’ve found a good place when it’s one of the local’s favs.


We stayed for a few hours, chatted a little with some of the bar patrons, and finished our delicious beverage.  We thanked the bartender again for the spirits and headed out the door for our short trip back home.  The bright sunshine was an alarm our eyes.  It took a few minutes to get readjusted and then we were on our way.



If you can get to Waldesian Heritage Winery make it soon!  They are planning to make renovations that will change it forever.  Don’t let the location fool you, here you’ll find a one-of-a-kind place with the history and all.  Inside that rustic barn you can have a relaxing good time and some yummy wine!  WaldesianHeritage Winery is open Thursday through Sunday 1-6pm (other times by appointment only). 

 

Visit Waldesian Heritage Winery online at:  www.waldensianheritagewines.com


If have you visited this or another winery here in NC and would like to share your story, or offer suggestions for my next trip, please email it to natasha3911@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment